Friday, January 25, 2008

Ok, so I missed my Wednesday posting time, I have no pictures, and not really sure what to share. I am still not used to just putting stuff out there. So I will start by sharing one thing that has been good this week. As of late, we have been taking advantage of the new year to evaluate everything in the Lucas household, one big thing being our dear little ones. As every other parent, we want to see our children growing in glorifying God by their behavior, but sometimes unsure how to get there. For one, the Lord is who changes hearts and thereby changes behavior, so then where does that leave us parents who want to encourage change, but not take the place of God. Hmmmm.... well, thank you Lord for grace, without which I would be a lost cause. A bit of this grace came from a conversation from another mom, one whom I see as full of peace and patience (as is evident by her children as well). She shared about a book in which she read that you should "always exhort your children in complete patience with training". Now, not a direct quote, but wow...if you think about how you relate to your children, can you honestly say that you ALWAYS, 100% of the time exhort them with COMPLETE patience? Sad to say, but I would not be that mom. So after much prayer over this, I decided that for 1 week, I would strive, by the grace of God, to be purposeful in exhorting my children with complete patience, in every circumstance. So we are about 3 days into it, and I must say there is much more peace in my house, and the real kicker is what I am seeing about myself. That I believe that I am really the catalyst to my children struggling a lot of the time because I do not exhort them with complete patience and with a mind to train them. I always knew that I really played a big part in how they responded, but this has been an eye opener. Very humbling indeed. I am thankful that the Lord allowed me to cross paths with this other mom. I believe the Lord is using this to truly change our hearts for each other and in turn change our behavior to glorify Him all the more.

5 comments:

Madeira girl said...

Thanks for the reminder again. I am afraid I dolefully failed at this today (and most days, I am sure!) It is amazing how my attitude and my tone can set the day, either good or bad. Thanks girl!

Robin said...

Hey Tracie! Welcome to the blogging world! This is a great post, and what you have shared holds so much truth!!! Thanks for being humble and sharing with us! I know there are times when I feel like I didn't learn this until way over in the teen years with Chelsey and I am rejoicing with you and other young moms as the Lord reveals your heart while your children are still young. Gene and I have always said that God gave us Chelsey to help us with our sanctification...there has never been a truer statement. There has been so much of my character revealed, and it has not been pretty! But praise God for His faithfulness and unfailing love, and most of all HIS patience with me!

michelle said...

Hey Tracie! Your blog is great so far! Glad we can catch up a bit this way. Love this post - so thankful for the examples from other moms! Have had so many conversations lately about the importance of coming up alongside our kids, in gentleness, humility and love, and encouraging them but not controlling them! (Hmm, is God trying to talk to me or what?!) Thanks for another reminder! Looking forward to more posts... :)

michelle said...

Oh - thought it was going to say Michelle Neese up there - that's me, ellerenee :):)

Lindsay said...

Great post. So excited to see how God uses this to transform your household and encourage mine! Love you and your heart for the boys. So grateful I get the privilege of gleaning from you:)