Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Boys, and Tools, and Doors, Oh My..!

So one of my babies turned 9 on Friday. I just can't believe it...where has the time gone. It's so fun to watch them grow and change. Though some things probably never will. For instance a young boys' propensity to get into trouble. This is what I mean. Christopher got a great set of real tools for his birthday, which he was thrilled about. He decided Monday that he was the Lowe's guy and was looking for things to fix. All fine until I hear his calling me...."Mommmmmy, I need help" over and over again. No I don't run right away unless I hear pain, cause usually they are fine and need to help themselves anyway. On with the story, so I did decide to go and at least check because with tools and a boy, you just never know. Boy was I right. I found him in my bathroom with the door closed and locked and the doorknob on my side of the door on the floor and him looking through the hole where the knob belonged. At first my temptation was to be upset that he was taking apart my door, but then I was reminded that what can be taken apart can be put back together. So I told him to ask his brother for help on getting out. Not long after, I had a very proud boy, who had managed to rescue himself (with a little help from his brother), and learned how to install a doorknob.

So you probably thought it ended there. Well, you'd be wrong for you forgot that Tuesday was yesterday and said boy is still playing fixit guy. This time it was the toilet. They decided to take the lid off to see how it worked and see if any improvements could be made. Well, in the process, the lid fell on Christopher's hand, crushing his fingers, one in particular. After watching it swell up and turn all shades of blue and purple, we decided to splint it since it looked a bit like a break or fracture. He now has his first war wound and is happily sporting his "broken" finger for all to see. So for all of you boy owners out there, just be ready for the tools, because they will come.

3 comments:

Madeira girl said...

I love it! My boys have just discovered that hammers make great picks. They have dug a huge trench behind the fence, digging up rocks, bricks and other odds and ends to boot! Oh, hammers make great crow bars as well. Well, at least they are all learning how to use their tools... every way they can!:)

3orange1blonde said...

oh my Tracie..please, please keep writing more than you do!! You are a great writer and I just laugh out loud and I can imagine your motions and big smile as you tell the story. That was great.
Tonight I asked Skye during our prayer time what his requests/concerns were..he says, "I have sickness"..so my ears perk up as he is NEVER inclined to say that. I ask, "what is your sickness?" He says, "my blocked nose"..I just thought it was funny. He does have a stuffy nose, but oh my..boys are great, just great.

michelle said...

love it! gavin would be so jealous to know Christopher's mommy lets him take off doorknobs and toilet tanks!!