Thursday, January 8, 2009

Traditions

Christmas Eve is such a fun time with the kids. We have been purposeful to have traditions that we started with them. This year my folks joined us that evening. We started with our gingerbread house.

Next we hide a pickle ornament on the tree and the boys have to find it. Whoever finds it gets to smash one of the chocolate oranges and serve it out to everyone. The boys get so excited. This was the first year that Sammy found the pickle first. Go Sammy!
Then we settle down for the story about Jesus' birth and yes, Twas' the Night Before Christmas.
I think my chair is getting too small, but I just can't give up having my boys all cuddled up with me for the reading. Pretty soon I think I will have to sit on their laps.
We finish the evening with the boys by putting out cookies for Santa and a carrot for Rudolph. This year the boys were so anxious to get to bed that they forgot the cookies, but we took care of that. Once the boys are in bed, we sit and watch A Christmas Story. The best movie ever, especially if you have boys, a must see. When the kids are finally asleep, we pull out the rest of the decorations. We tinsle the tree, pull out the gifts and wrap them in lights so they glow. I set the table for breakfast with all our fun Christmas dishes and candles, and put lights everywhere. So my house literally glows on Christmas morning. We actually string lights around the boys' room as well, and they can't get up or come out until their lights come on. Though I must say, I think this is the first year that one of them was probably awake before we flipped the switch at 6:45. He says he was awake, but I'm not so sure from the looks on their faces.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: